WHAT WE DO
The Ginter Immigration Law Clinic at International House helps Charlotte's immigrants and refugees navigate the legal process to become U.S. citizens, secure a green card or work permit, and reunite their families here in their new city. With a mandate to serve low-income residents of the Greater Charlotte area and staffed by three attorneys and one board-accredited representative who can represent clients, the Clinic is open to all ethnic groups and targets the most disadvantaged cases.
The Immigration Law Clinic receives more than 2,000 requests for assistance each year and can accept only a portion of those people as clients due to resource constraints. Below are answers to some frequently asked questions. To learn more about the Clinic and the process for becoming a client, please call us.
Who is Eligible?
- The clinic provides legal assistance in immigration matters to individuals and families of all nationalities who qualify for our services.
- We also serve refugees and asylees in most cases without regard to income.
- Low-income residents (those earning less than 200% of the federal poverty guidelines) living in the Greater Charlotte area who qualify for some immigration benefit may be eligible for our services.
- Clients may be required to submit some proof of income, residency in our area, and eligibility for an immigration benefit.
How Much Do Services Cost?
- We charge nominal flat fees for our services, and these fees are 10%-25% of of the cost of a private legal firm.
- Some refugee and asylee cases are handled free of charge.
- We are committed to serving all eligible clients regardless of their ability to pay.
What types of cases do you accept?
- We specialize in family immigration and naturalization.
- We also represent refugees and asylees.
- We make every effort to refer people we cannot accept as clients to other appropriate service providers.
When do you accept new cases?
- We do intakes for new clients and new cases on Tuesdays from 1pm-4pm.
- You must call: 704-405-0962.
- No walk-ins please.
IN THE LAST FIVE YEARS
IN THE LAST FIVE YEARS
"My life changed because of International House. My life is better. Without family, life is a house without light. It’s dark all the time. From dark to light - that is what International House did for my life.”
- Asgedom Kidane, Refugee from Eritrea and International House Client
"I left my family. I left my country - that’s my home. My country and my home are the same.”