International House relies on volunteers to fulfill our mission in Charlotte. Every year hundreds of people give us the gift of their time, talent and expertise. We invite you to become one of them!
International House offers volunteers a variety of projects and interesting work, allowing them to play a role in promoting international understanding and helping people in our community. If you have a skill you'd like to share or one you'd like to develop there's a place for you at International House.
Volunteer Opportunities with International House
1. Citizenship Class English Tutor - Help an immigrant achieve their dream of becoming a U.S. citizen. Tutoring takes place on Sundays from 2-3pm. Help a student in our Citizenship class understand, read, and write the 100 naturalization questions that may be asked on their U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services exam. Choose from one of two sessions: July 14th- August 18th or October 6th- November 10th. Tutor training and orientation is always on the first Sunday from 12:30-2pm.
2. ESL Class Assistant/Tutor - Change a life with the gift of English! Help our Adult ESL class students with vocabulary, grammar, reading, and writing practice. This commitment is once a week, Mon-Thurs from 12-1pm, September 9th through December 5th.
3. English Tutor - Teach English and make a lifelong friend with our long-term English tutoring option. Tutors and students are paired based on time availability for a 1-2 hour weekly session on Monday-Friday between 9am-6pm at International House. This program begins in September and is ongoing throughout the year.
4. Front Office Receptionist - Help us “welcome the world”! Friendly faces needed to help greet visitors and clients and answer phones between 9am and 5pm, M-F beginning in August.
To volunteer for the above opportunities or learn more, please contact Gail Johnson at 704-333-8099, ext. 110, firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Home Hosts for international visitors from Ukraine - June 1 through June 9. We need families or individuals to provide southern hospitality and a home stay for one of our distinguished group of mayors and city council officials who will be visiting Charlotte from the Ukraine through the Open World Program. The Open World Program enables Russian and Eurasian elected officials and emerging civic leaders to observe the American democratic system firsthand. This is a great opportunity to make global connections without leaving home! Hosts provide a bedroom, breakfast and dinner, and assist with transportation for their guests to and from International House during the week days. Guests will be involved with special programs during the day.
6. Home Hosts for teens from Mexico - July 20 to August 3rd. We are especially seeking families with teenagers who will provide a home stay for one or more exceptional youth leaders who will be visiting us from Mexico through the Jovenes en Accion Program. The Mexican youth are here to focus on youth empowerment, combating gang violence, and self-expression. Teens from host families are welcome to accompany their Mexican guests to all meetings and workshops during their stay here in Charlotte. Hosts provide a bedroom, breakfast and dinner, and assist with transporting their guests to and from International House during week days.
To volunteer for the home hosting opportunities above or learn more, please contact Johnelle Causwell, 704-333-8099, ext.123, email@example.com.